VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS, how it is even possible? It is if you try this tofu scramble! The point is that vegans don’t eat eggs but it is not a huge problem, cause we can easily replace eggs with tofu crumbles!
The taste and texture are actually surprising because of its similarity to usual scrambled eggs. One of the secret ingredients, to make this scramble taste like usual scrambled eggs is black salt. Black salt, also known as Kala namak, naturally has a hard-boiled egg aroma and taste. However, tofu scramble taste was not like the usual scrambled eggs and then I realized that egg simply contains fat and I was not adding enough of it into my recipe. Consequently, I’m revealing another secret ingredient and it is cashew cream (click here for the recipe). The results I got just by mixing some of this cream into my tofu scramble, were MARVELOUS!
Actually, I was so curious after I finished my plate that I even made a comparison. I compared this vegan scramble recipe with usual scrambled eggs by the nutritional facts and what do you think? Nutritionally tofu scramble is not behind the usual scrambled eggs, truly not at all. Tofu scramble contains fewer calories and less fat. Protein amount is almost at the same point, however comparison of minerals and vitamins, the vegan scramble option is a winner!
Why this vegan scramble recipe is the best? Because it’s:
- Silky textured
- High in protein
- The tasty savory vegan breakfast option
- Source of calcium and iron
- Keeping you full till lunch
Let’s jump to the recipe!
- 200 g. firm tofu
- 3 tsp. cashew cream*
- ⅓ tsp. turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅕ tsp. black salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (for cooking)
- Wrap drained tofu in a clean absorbent towel and set something heavy on top (like books) to press out the moisture. Let it rest like that for 10-15 minutes.
- Using your fingers make tofu crumble
- Into the heated pan add oil wait a minute and then add tofu and spices. Cook for about 5 minutes stiring it from time to time.
- Add cashew cream, mix it in well and it's DONE. Enjoy!
- *Cashew cream recipe is here!
If you tried this recipe, please write a comment about how was it or publish a photo with a hashtag #greatinthekitchen it would mean a lot for me!
Plus you can follow my recipes on Instagram and Pinterest.
Best wishes, Geiste!